- FitterPaws Pet Products Launches Healthy And Organic Dog Treats
- New Rochelle: Westchester County Partners with NY Knicks for "I kicked COVID to the Curb" campaign
- Rochester: Mayor Warren Launches Office of Neighborhood Safety to Coordinate Community Violence Reduction Efforts
The battery system on a customer property at 220 City Island Avenue can provide 1 megawatt – or a million watts – to customers along the business strip. That will take stress off the Con Edison grid on hot summer days when electrical usage soars.
"Battery technology can help us accomplish several goals on behalf of our customers," said Santee Hernandez, Con Edison's project manager. "Power discharged from a battery when our customers need it the most means less demand on our electric-delivery equipment. And deploying batteries is another way we are leading the transition to a clean energy future."
It is the second lithium-ion battery system Con Edison and its partner GI Energy have placed at a customer property in New York City under a demonstration project. The first went into service early last year on the North Shore of Staten Island. An agreement guarantees Con Edison the right to discharge the batteries to provide power to its customers as needed.
More on Nyenta.com
- Midori & Friends Appoints Larisa Gelman as New Executive Director
- Mobile Car Valet in South West London and Surrey
- The Rolls Royce Of Generator Pads
- Ballet Writer And Teacher Gavin Larsen Releases New Memoir – Being a Ballerina
- KBRA Releases RMBS Credit Indices (KCI) for April 2021
Under the demonstration project, GI Energy and Con Edison are able to choose customer locations where Con Edison's analysis shows the electrical grid needs support. When Con Edison is not using the energy storage unit for grid support, GI Energy plans to dispatch power from the system into the wholesale market.
The project underwent an extensive safety review by the Fire Department of New York and the city Department of Buildings.
Battery storage will take on greater importance as the state increases the amount of renewable energy lighting homes and businesses, running vehicles and providing heating and cooling. That renewable energy will include 9,000 megawatts of offshore wind power.
Batteries can let energy companies to store power generated by clean renewables and have that energy on hand for times the wind isn't blowing and the sun isn't shining.
Con Edison and a partner, 174 Power Global, recently announced a mammoth 100-megawatt/400-megawatt hour battery at the site of a former fossil fuel plant near the East River in Astoria, Queens.
More on Nyenta.com
- Tutanota LLC Extends Tender Offer for up to 1,000,000 Shares of Common Stock of salesforce.com, inc
- Seagis Property Group Acquires 14,000 SF Warehouse in Bronx, NY
- Parents Accused of False ACS Charges Now Have a Website To Protect Their Rights
- Talk+Tell Is a One-Stop Shop for the Self-Published Author
- DocGo and Medpod team up to Provide High-touch Telehealth Services to Patients
The company also has a 2-megawatt storage system in Ozone Park, Queens.
Con Edison is a subsidiary of Consolidated Edison, Inc. [NYSE: ED], one of the nation's largest investor-owned energy companies, with approximately $12 billion in annual revenues and $63 billion in assets. The utility delivers electricity, natural gas and steam to 3.5 million customers in New York City and Westchester County, N.Y.
GI Energy delivers reliable, resilient, clean and cost-effective on-site energy infrastructure solutions across the US via a wide range of technologies. Services include finance, design and construction. By integrating solutions into clients' operations, GIE is enabling the future of sustainable distributed energy.
SOURCE Con Edison
Filed Under: Business
Latest on Nyenta.com
- TrueDialog Higher Education Texting Solution Named EdTech Award Finalist
- PTON Shareholder Alert: Bronstein, Gewirtz & Grossman, LLC Notifies Peloton Interactive, Inc. Investors of Class Action and Encourages Shareholders to Contact the Firm
- Everyone Can Have Their "15 Minutes" With Former Google PPC Expert, Savio Marian
- Cedar Realty Trust partners with Asland Capital Partners and the Goldman Sachs Urban Investment Group for Major Opportunity Zone Redevelopment in Washington, D.C.'s Seventh Ward
- GCC Facility Management Market Size, Share, Growth Drivers and Demand Forecast to 2030
- Flow Launches New Visual Identity to Support Growth for Cross-Border E-commerce
- Oleeo Toasts 25th Anniversary Year to Herald a New Era for Recruiting Enablement
- Nanometrics wins Government of Canada Contract to Provide the Infrastructure for Canada's Early Earthquake Warning System
- Mastercard SpendingPulse: April U.S. Retail Sales Grow 23.3%* as Trends Point to a Recovering Economy
- GREECE IN USA: A New Cultural Platform is Launched in New York
- Rochester: City Offers Pet Safety Net Program
- Rochester: Flower City Days at Public Market Begin May 9
- Rochester: City Unveils New Extension of the Downtown Play Walk
- AJC's Engagement with the Arab World Reaches New Heights
- Experience Investment Corp. Stockholders Approve Business Combination with Blade Urban Air Mobility
- Jazz For Life The New Album By Ski Johnson To Release On Friday, May 21
- Vimeo Earnings Release Available On The IAC Website
- Yonkers: YONKERS MAYOR MIKE SPANO CRACKS DOWN ON GRAFFITI
- Global Popstar Jahna Sebastian Releases the Visuals to Her Power New Single, 'Day by Day'
- Identity Podcast Mother's Day Celebration Feat. Tarik & Caleb's Moms!