The 28th Annual Pride Week flag raising took place at noon today in Niagara Square, kicking-off a series of LGBTQ events, which will culminate with the Pride Parade and Buffalo Pride Festival on Sunday, June 2nd.
"My Administration works every day to make Buffalo a welcoming place of inclusion and diversity, including efforts to recognize and protect the dignity of all, regardless of race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity," Mayor Byron W. Brown said.
In May 2018, Mayor Brown instituted a progressive set of City of Buffalo Workplace Gender Transition Guidelines for city employees, as part of his mission to make Buffalo a City of Opportunity for all.
"The introduction of that policy reflects our goal, laid out in my Opportunity Agenda, of building a city that respects the diversity of its people. Department heads now have official guidelines to follow when an employee is undergoing, or has undergone, the process of gender transition in the workplace, and use them to best support the transitioning individual," Mayor Brown said.
More on Nyenta.com
- MC Companies Prescribes Happy and Healthy Lifestyles To Employees And Residents
- Buffalo: 'Food Truck Thursdays' 2019 Season Finale
- Buffalo: Mayor Brown Announces Foreclosure Assistance Program That Saves Homeowners From Losing Properties
- Tackle Your "New Year, New You" Resolutions With Streaming Health TV's Dr. Mike Evangel
- Weinstein Spira Announces Multiple Promotions
The City of Buffalo also offers trans-inclusive employee health insurance coverage and installed gender- neutral bathrooms at City Hall.
"As we begin Pride Week in Buffalo, this year is especially poignant as our nation celebrates the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall Uprising, a groundbreaking moment and proud part of New York's history," said Lieutenant Governor Kathy Hochul, who spoke at today's ceremony. "As the federal government works to roll back LGBTQ rights, we continue to stand up for equality and fight for the rights of all New Yorkers no matter their sexual orientation or gender identity."
"We are excited to join with our local elected officials and WNY LGBTQ Community to kick off Buffalo Pride Week," said Bryan Ball, President of SDWNY. "On the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall uprising that launched the modern LGBTQ Pride movement, we are so proud to stand in our city and state to celebrate the history, progress and pride that was born in our community, and celebrate the diversity of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer community in Buffalo and Western New York."
The Buffalo Pride Parade will take place Sunday, June 2nd, starting at noon, and traveling down Elmwood Avenue, from Forest Avenue to Allen Street. The Buffalo Price Festival follows the parade, from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Canalside.
Visit buffaloprideweek.com to purchase festival tickets and see a complete list of Pride Week 2019 events.
Latest on Nyenta.com
- Lucd.ai Named "Cool Vendor" by Gartner
- Eddie Star Returns With A Rock-n-Roll Double Feature
- The FMD Group Appoints New President - Mike Waters Joins The FMD Group
- Lantek to present six educational sessions at FABTECH 2019
- MuirWoods Memory Care, Petaluma's Comeback Kid
- Fitt Adds New Funding, Strategic Investor in MINDBODY
- "Three Days," A Contemporary Romance For The Masses Is Now Available In Audiobook Format Worldwide
- Diamond Packaging Wins Five Awards in 2019 Gold Ink Awards Competition
- Vampires, Werewolves and A Warlock Battle In The Modern Supernatural Thriller "Markus"
- Tidewater area restaurant The Dirty Buffalo announces Grand Opening for Virginia Beach location
- Headstorm Extends Senior Leadership Team and Opens Pittsburgh Office
- Albany: RFP 2019:32 Street & Sidewalk Construction Project for Woodlawn Avenue and Spring Street
- Albany: RFP 2019:33 Analytical Laboratory Services
- The all new VitalloFlex® Puro RS – these shoes are made for driving
- ITSMA 2019 Marketing Excellence Awards Honor High Impact B2B Marketing Programs
- S-cubed launch the A3 Community MDR
- Best Production Companies in New York City - Sinema Films
- Waco Family & Faith International Film Festival Launches With The Goals To Empower The Creative Spirit And Celebrate All
- Refereum Partners With Leading Digital Marketplace OpenSea
- Menke to present at the 2019 ESOP Association Hawaii Chapter Annual Conference October 17