Seniors looking to increase their consumption of fruits and vegetables and stretch their food budgets this summer and fall may be entitled to a Farmers Market Checkbook. To be eligible, individuals must be 60 years of age or older AND have a monthly income at or below $1,926/month for a one person household or $2,607 for a two person household.
The Senior Farmers Market Program is funded through the Food and Nutrition Service division of the United States Department of Agriculture and Markets in cooperation with the NY State Office for the Aging, NYS Department of Agriculture and Markets and the Westchester County Department of Senior Programs and Services.
The Farmers Market Senior Nutrition Program is for eligible older adults on a FIRST COME FIRST SERVE basis. Eligible seniors should participate only if they are planning to use the coupons at the participating markets. Each checkbook has a value of $20 and individual Farmers Market Checks are worth $4.00 each. Farmers will not give change. If a purchase is less than $4.00, farmers will add additional items of the recipient's choice to make up the difference.
More on Nyenta.com
- Is "Trump and His Magic Wand" really worth 150 Million?
- Exclusive Butterfly Garden Holiday Gift Set
- 626 acquires the leading injector service solution provider in the Healthcare Technology Management space
- Siemplify Raises the Bar for Enterprise Readiness with Latest Security Operations Platform Release
- Evolve IP Completes Flex Certification for WebEx Calling and Meetings Solutions
The purpose of the Senior Farmers Market Program is to provide resources in the form of fresh, nutritious, unprepared, locally grown fruits, vegetables, and herbs from farmers' markets and community supported agriculture programs to low-income seniors; to increase the consumption of locally grown food by expanding farmers' markets and community supported agriculture programs. The program also serves a purpose in the development of new and additional farmers' markets and community supported agriculture programs.
The check books will be distributed to eligible seniors beginning, Thursday, July 18, until supplies last at the Hugh Doyle Senior Center Senior Center, located at 94 Davis Avenue. The times of distribution will be 9:30-11:30 and 1:30-3:30 Tuesday-Friday. Proof of age and residency are required. Applicants must come in person to sign the statement of eligibility. Each older adult in a household is eligible to receive a booklet if they meet the age and income requirements.
The coupons are valid at any Participating New York State Farmers Market and locally the checkbooks can be used at New Rochelle Public Library Saturday,and at the Paine Cottage every Friday( 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. or sellout).
For more information on the Farmer's Market Coupons contact the Hugh Doyle Senior Center at 914-235-2363.
Latest on Nyenta.com
- City of Yonkers Demands Answers from New York City's Special One Time Assistance (Sota) Program Impacting Yonkers' Homeless Population
- Albany: RFP 2019:38 Monitoring Solutions For Water and Waste Water Applications
- Arson Investigators & OSCR360 Team Network at NYS Arson Investigation Event
- Steve The Medium Coming To Rude Rangers TV
- Santia Deck Makes History; Signs Record Breaking Deal With Highly-Anticipated WFLA
- Dbvisit Announces Release of Dbvisit Standby Snapshot
- Albany Mayor Kathy Sheehan Announces Appointment of Councilmember Dr. Dorcey Applyrs as Next Albany Chief City Auditor
- Apollo Brands® Announces Exclusive Distribution Agreement Bringing Apollo Energy Gum® and Golf Gum® to The Nordic Countries
- Sandline Discovery Leverages NexLP's Cognitive AI to Deliver Leading Behavioral and Linguistic Intelligence
- Michael Sheahan Retired NYPD Detective Honored for Donating Over $1 Million of Books
- Unpopular Opinion: The Story of a Selfish Heart
- ACEINNA Launches New Current Sensing Article for Embedded Power Systems
- Athlete Ally's Updated Athletic Equality Index Shows Tremendous Progress, Opportunities for LGBTQ Inclusivity
- Upcycle Pop returns with its Sustainable Holiday Event. Art Exhibits, Performances and a Fashion Show
- Royal Portrush, Omni Barton Creek, Golf Rivals, Adidas, and Great Waters announced as winners of Golf Aficionado Magazine Best of 2019 Awards
- "The Longer, Shorter Path" - New Autobiography from Israel's Former Defense Minister
- inTheSmart (iTS) premieres on FOX Business with its advanced endoscopic fluorescence imaging system and over 70 patents
- Buffalo: Mayor Brown Announces the Next Phase of the Highly-Successful Cars Sharing Main Street Project
- WebSatchel makes mobile breakthrough
- Mayor Brown, Variety–The Children's Charity of Buffalo Announce $30K Grant to Police Athletic League