Seniors looking to increase their consumption of fruits and vegetables and stretch their food budgets this summer and fall may be entitled to a Farmers Market Checkbook. To be eligible, individuals must be 60 years of age or older AND have a monthly income at or below $1,968/month for a one person household or $2,658 for a two person household.
The Senior Farmers Market Program is funded through the Food and Nutrition Service division of the United States Department of Agriculture and Markets in cooperation with the NY State Office for the Aging, NYS Department of Agriculture and Markets and the Westchester County Department of Senior Programs and Services.
The Farmers Market Senior Nutrition Program is for eligible older adults on a FIRST COME FIRST SERVE basis. Eligible seniors should participate only if they are planning to use the coupons at the participating markets. Each checkbook has a value of $20 and individual Farmers Market Checks are worth $4.00 each. Farmers will not give change. If a purchase is less than $4.00, farmers will add additional items of the recipient's choice to make up the difference.
More on Nyenta.com
- New Rochelle: Lighted Boat Parade Showcases Long Island Sound, Boating Community
- The two most experienced minds in IP Ethics merge
- You can leave the financial legacies you want by Les Robinson CLTC
- AutoQuotes And UL Announce Strategic Partnership
- Fix My Practice Launches to Tackle Poor-Quality Health and Social Care Pandemic
The purpose of the Senior Farmers Market Program is to provide resources in the form of fresh, nutritious, unprepared, locally grown fruits, vegetables, and herbs from farmers' markets and community supported agriculture programs to low-income seniors; to increase the consumption of locally grown food by expanding farmers' markets and community supported agriculture programs. The program also serves a purpose in the development of new and additional farmers' markets and community supported agriculture programs.
The checkbooks will be distributed to eligible seniors beginning, July, 31st until supplies last at the Hugh Doyle Senior Center Senior Center, located at 94 Davis Avenue. New for this year! The times of distribution will be 8:30-12 and 1-3:30 Monday-Friday by appointment only (in the parking lot weather permitting) Applicants must wear a face mask, and bring their own pen. Proof of age and residency are required. Applicants must come in person to sign the statement of eligibility. (Power of Attorney must provide proof) Each older adult in a household is eligible to receive a booklet if they meet the age and income requirements.
The coupons are valid at any Participating New York State Farmers Market and locally the checkbooks can be used at the Paine Cottage every Friday( 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. or sellout).
For more information on the Farmer's Market Coupons contact the Hugh Doyle Senior Center at 914-235-2363.
Latest on Nyenta.com
- Money Expert Galit Tsadik Hosting the Inner Shark Tribe Money Coaching Program September 2020
- Villa Premiere Boutique Hotel Takes Home AAA's Four Diamond and is Rated a Top Hotel at Tripadvisor's Travelers' Choice Awards
- New MOVE3®: NEM® + Fish Oil Omega Combo Study Confirms Fast Efficacy in Pain & Stiffness Treatment in Healthy Adults
- Multicultural Network www.UnityFrist.com presents the Virtual Conversation, "Inclusion Always Matters: How to Navigate the New 'Now'"
- Albany Water Department Asks Residents and Businesses to Prepare for Heavy Rain
- Ron Throop Write-in Campaign for NY Senate District 48
- NYC's Dr. David Shokrian and Millennial Plastic Surgery Welcomes Patients Back… With Precautions
- Sanitizing Equipment Donation Empowers Workforce Innovation Hub at City of Refuge
- Yonkers Department of Public Works to Provide Sand Bags for Residents in Low Lying Areas
- Elpha Secure and Sterling New Age Cyber Launch ES-1000
- AC Hotel by Marriott Tokyo Ginza Opened July 9, 2020
- Last Minute Hotel Deals – Which Places Offer the Biggest Price Reductions Due to Coronavirus?
- TTS 2020 Virtual Congress: Leading Global Experts Convene Online In A Transformative Meeting
- City of Yonkers Taps Bird yo Launch New York State's First Ever Electric Scooter Pilot Program
- New Rochelle: Farmer's Market Checkbooks Now Available to Qualifying Seniors
- Dental Innovations LLC publishes "The Financial Survival Guide for Dentists!"
- Digital Transformation in the Banking Industry
- Rochester: City Partners with 20 Restaurants to Deliver Meals to Seniors
- Palaniuk Comes From Behind To Win Bassmaster Elite Event At Lake Champlain
- Secret Walls Academy X Silverstreetz