The New Rochelle Fire Department is teaming up with the National Fire Protection Association® (NFPA®)—the official sponsor of Fire Prevention Week for more than 90 years—to promote this year's Fire Prevention Week campaign, "Not Every Hero Wears a Cape. Plan and Practice Your Escape!" The campaign works to educate everyone about the small but important actions they can take to keep themselves and those around them safe.
"Situational awareness is a skill people need to use wherever they go," said Fire Chief Andy Sandor. "No matter where you are, look for available exits. If the alarm system sounds, take it seriously and exit the building immediately."
NFPA statistics show that in 2017 U.S. fire departments responded to 357,000 home structure fires. These fires caused 2,630 fire deaths and 10,600 fire injuries. On average, seven people died in a fire in a home per day during 2012 to 2016.
According to Sandor, here are some tips to prevent these unfortunate scenarios: Be aware of areas around stoves, chimneys, and heating appliances such as woodstoves. Re-evaluate the extension cord/multi-use outlet/powerstrip situation in your house, being careful not to overload. If in doubt or have questions about power strips and overloading circuits, call your electrician. And finally, make an escape plan. In a typical home fire, you may have as little as one to two minutes to escape safely from the time the smoke alarm sounds. Escape planning and practice can help you make the most of the time you have, giving everyone enough time to get out.
More on Nyenta.com
- Kobe Bryant Signed and Inscribed Middle School Yearbook is up for Bid in Iconic Auctions Online Sale
- Phyllis Stoller, President of The Women's Travel Group Wins Award for Blogging
- William E. Lewis Jr & Associates announces the formation of a credit repair component
- NATP announces its annual 2020 Tax Forums and Expo
- Airforwarders Association Testifies at U.S. Senate Committee Hearing
While NFPA and the New Rochelle Fire Department are focusing on home fires, these messages apply to virtually any location. For more general information about Fire Prevention Week and home escape planning, visit www.fpw.org.
PHOTO AND VIDEO OPPORTUNITIES
Sunday, October 13 @ 8am Fallen Firefighter Memorial Service
Holy Name of Jesus Church
Followed by Station 1 Memorial Service @ 9:30am
Wednesday, October 23 @10AM NRFD Annual Awards & Promotion Ceremony
City Hall- Council Chambers
<iframe id="vp1ROQ0g" title="Video Player" width="360" height="360" frameborder="0" src="https://s3.amazonaws.com/embed.animoto.com/play...=" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Latest on Nyenta.com
- Que efeito a cafeína anidra tem na depressão?
- Escape to Chile's Wine Region with Patagonia Camp's Wine & Nature Week
- City of Buffalo to Launch the Largest Environmental Impact Bond (EIB) in the Country
- KOLBUS is a new name in corrugated converting machinery
- KYOCERA's New AH100A Alumina Ceramic Offers Breakthrough Benefits for High-Voltage Insulation Applications
- NASC Continues Flight Operations for New Teros Group 4/5 UAV
- Sunknowledge Services Inc has a Reliable DME Billing & Collections Approach
- That's A Wrap: The 14th Annual Beaufort International Film Festival Winners are Announced
- Albany: RFP 2020:12 South End Connector Phase II
- First Encounters Leading to Sin
- CEO Coaching International Makes Inc.'s List of the 250 Fastest Growing Private Companies in California
- Solutions for Airborne Coronavirus, Tuberculosis, Measles and Influenza
- USTOA Helps Travelers Understand REAL ID
- BiKi.com Announces Electroneum Listing with 6 Million ETN Giveaway
- SASOL DEADLINE ALERT: Faruqi & Faruqi, LLP Encourages Investors Who Suffered Losses Exceeding $50,000 In Sasol Limited To Contact The Firm
- Former Guest on Oprah Winfrey Show Leads Nationwide Conference
- Community Comes Together For Hgf 5k Run & Walk To Help Kids With Growth Disorder
- Delirious Comedy Club Of Downtown Las Vegas Continues Nightly Laughter With Celebrity Comedy Series
- The Deal-Making Podcast You Should Be Listening To
- Insignificant Latino's Unsolicited Advice To Mike Bloomberg In 2020