The New Rochelle Fire Department is teaming up with the National Fire Protection Association® (NFPA®)—the official sponsor of Fire Prevention Week for more than 90 years—to promote this year's Fire Prevention Week campaign, "Not Every Hero Wears a Cape. Plan and Practice Your Escape!" The campaign works to educate everyone about the small but important actions they can take to keep themselves and those around them safe.
"Situational awareness is a skill people need to use wherever they go," said Fire Chief Andy Sandor. "No matter where you are, look for available exits. If the alarm system sounds, take it seriously and exit the building immediately."
NFPA statistics show that in 2017 U.S. fire departments responded to 357,000 home structure fires. These fires caused 2,630 fire deaths and 10,600 fire injuries. On average, seven people died in a fire in a home per day during 2012 to 2016.
According to Sandor, here are some tips to prevent these unfortunate scenarios: Be aware of areas around stoves, chimneys, and heating appliances such as woodstoves. Re-evaluate the extension cord/multi-use outlet/powerstrip situation in your house, being careful not to overload. If in doubt or have questions about power strips and overloading circuits, call your electrician. And finally, make an escape plan. In a typical home fire, you may have as little as one to two minutes to escape safely from the time the smoke alarm sounds. Escape planning and practice can help you make the most of the time you have, giving everyone enough time to get out.
More on Nyenta.com
- MC Companies Prescribes Happy and Healthy Lifestyles To Employees And Residents
- Buffalo: 'Food Truck Thursdays' 2019 Season Finale
- Buffalo: Mayor Brown Announces Foreclosure Assistance Program That Saves Homeowners From Losing Properties
- Tackle Your "New Year, New You" Resolutions With Streaming Health TV's Dr. Mike Evangel
- Weinstein Spira Announces Multiple Promotions
While NFPA and the New Rochelle Fire Department are focusing on home fires, these messages apply to virtually any location. For more general information about Fire Prevention Week and home escape planning, visit www.fpw.org.
PHOTO AND VIDEO OPPORTUNITIES
Sunday, October 13 @ 8am Fallen Firefighter Memorial Service
Holy Name of Jesus Church
Followed by Station 1 Memorial Service @ 9:30am
Wednesday, October 23 @10AM NRFD Annual Awards & Promotion Ceremony
City Hall- Council Chambers
<iframe id="vp1ROQ0g" title="Video Player" width="360" height="360" frameborder="0" src="https://s3.amazonaws.com/embed.animoto.com/play...=" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Latest on Nyenta.com
- Lucd.ai Named "Cool Vendor" by Gartner
- Eddie Star Returns With A Rock-n-Roll Double Feature
- The FMD Group Appoints New President - Mike Waters Joins The FMD Group
- Lantek to present six educational sessions at FABTECH 2019
- MuirWoods Memory Care, Petaluma's Comeback Kid
- Fitt Adds New Funding, Strategic Investor in MINDBODY
- "Three Days," A Contemporary Romance For The Masses Is Now Available In Audiobook Format Worldwide
- Diamond Packaging Wins Five Awards in 2019 Gold Ink Awards Competition
- Vampires, Werewolves and A Warlock Battle In The Modern Supernatural Thriller "Markus"
- Tidewater area restaurant The Dirty Buffalo announces Grand Opening for Virginia Beach location
- Headstorm Extends Senior Leadership Team and Opens Pittsburgh Office
- Albany: RFP 2019:33 Analytical Laboratory Services
- Albany: RFP 2019:32 Street & Sidewalk Construction Project for Woodlawn Avenue and Spring Street
- The all new VitalloFlex® Puro RS – these shoes are made for driving
- ITSMA 2019 Marketing Excellence Awards Honor High Impact B2B Marketing Programs
- S-cubed launch the A3 Community MDR
- Best Production Companies in New York City - Sinema Films
- Waco Family & Faith International Film Festival Launches With The Goals To Empower The Creative Spirit And Celebrate All
- Refereum Partners With Leading Digital Marketplace OpenSea
- Menke to present at the 2019 ESOP Association Hawaii Chapter Annual Conference October 17