- Red Light Therapy: A Breakthrough Treatment for Aging Eyesight
- The Millennium Alliance Is Recognized As A Top Workplace In New York City
- Celebrate Black Music Month — An Unforgettable Evening with Morace Landy: Music Industry Legend & CEO, Evolution3, June 6, 6-8:30 PM, Harlem, NY
Mayor Spano said, "Our obligation is to serve and protect our businesses and their customers, and with the precision approach by our police department to these offenses, we can drive out these criminals. These thieves are looking at shoplifting as a sport, but we want them to know – it's game over when they get to Yonkers."
The Yonkers Police Department has deployed a multi-unit approach to target these crimes, especially for those occurring at some of the City's hot spots along Central Park Avenue. This includes directed patrols for major box stores, plain clothes officers posted in major retail parking lots to intercept offenders, identifying top offenders and recidivists, increasing deployment of foot patrols along highly-trafficked shopping centers and recently burglarized businesses, working closely with the Westchester County District Attorney's Office for case enhancement and heightened prosecution, elevating the priority level of calls for service regarding shoplifting-in-progress to expedite police response, following up on uncleared incidents focusing on suspected recidivists, meeting with businesses and retailers offering guidance for target-hardening crime prevention awareness, and ensuring cooperation with reporting and prosecution.
More on Nyenta.com
- Mayor Mike Spano Issues Statement on the Air Quality Alert Impacting the City of Yonkers
- Kessler Topaz Meltzer & Check, LLP Reminds Icahn Enterprises L.P. (IEP) Investors of July 10, 2023 Lead Plaintiff Deadline and Urges Investors with Substantial Losses to Contact the Firm
- How to Navigate Hormonal Mayhem: A Groundbreaking Book on Perimenopause, Endometriosis, and Beyond
- Rochester: Mayor Evans Encourages Residents to Heed Monroe County Department of Health Advisories
- Get Ready for Fireworks in Sexy Red, White, and Blue Bustier Babydoll Lingerie
Police Commissioner Sapienza said "Shoplifters and thieves beware – stay out of Yonkers. You will get arrested for your crimes and we will do everything in our power to hold you accountable to the full extent of the law. There is no such thing as a victimless crime and the Yonkers Police will not allow criminals to degrade the quality-of-life in our fair City." He also noted that many of the perpetrators are shoplifting recidivists who continue to be released into the community to reoffend. The City's top three shoplifting recidivists have been charged 14 times collectively since December 2022 for misdemeanors or felonies in Yonkers and surrounding municipalities.
Mayor Spano commented that "We need a commitment from our local businesses. We want to keep them in Yonkers and thrive here, so their partnership in charging those who commit crimes in their stores is the first step in stemming this tide." From December 2022 to February 2023 there were 162 reported shoplifting incidents in the City of Yonkers; however many more incidents are not reported by local retailers.
To report a crime in progress call 9-1-1 or submit an anonymous tip online at www.yonkersny.gov/ypd or text keyword 'YPD' plus tip information to CRIMES (274637).
In an effort to address an increase in shoplifting incidents among big box retail stores within its jurisdiction, The City of Yonkers has implemented a multi-unit approach led by Mayor Mike Spano alongside Police Commissioner Christopher Sapienza. Year over year reported shoplifting incidents have doubled while total property crimes have increased 10%.
More on Nyenta.com
- THE SALMON FACTOR WINS GOLD EFFIE AWARD IN THE UNITED STATES USA - English España - español
- Financial IT Launches Fintech Pathfinder: Showcasing the Most Promising Fintech Startups
- Return of Professional Basketball to Quebec City
- Leading Independent Proxy Advisory Firms ISS and Glass Lewis Support WisdomTree's New Director Nominee Shamla Naidoo and Recommend Against ETFS Capital Chairman Graham Tuckwell
- Wágner Resurfaces with Second Single "I Ran" After 30-Year Hiatus
The initiative includes directed patrols for major box stores; plain clothes officers posted in major retail parking lots; identifying top offenders; increasing deployment of foot patrols along highly trafficked shopping centers; working closely with Westchester County District Attorney's Office; elevating priority level of calls regarding shoplifting-in-progress; following up on uncleared incidents focusing on suspected recidivists; meeting with businesses offering guidance for target hardening crime prevention awareness; ensuring cooperation with reporting & prosecution & more.
Commissioner Sapienza warned potential criminals that "Shoplifters & thieves beware - stay out of Yonkers." He noted that many perpetrators are repeat offenders who continue being released into community only reoffend again & again - The City's top 3 shoplifters having been charged 14 times collectively since December 2022 alone! Mayor Spano added that "We need a commitment from our local businesses" & urged them partner up with police charging those committing crimes within their stores as first step towards stemming this tide! From December 2022 till February 2023 there were 162 reported cases though many more remain unreported by local retailers! To report any crime call 9-1-1 or submit anonymous tip online/text keyword 'YPD' plus tip information!
Filed Under: Government, City
Latest on Nyenta.com
- Hach Rose Schirripa & Cheverie, LLP Announces Investigation Into Block Inc.
- KYC2020 Offers Free Sanctions Screening for Non-Commercial Use
- Introducing RecipeNFT: The Revolutionary Platform for Preserving Family Recipes on the Avalanche Blockchain
- Introducing Obitz.io: Revolutionizing Obituaries with Blockchain Technology
- Bronx Chiropractor, Dr. Ralph Napolitano, Expands Practice to Serve Bronx and Brooklyn
- New Epic Fantasy - Shadow of the Soul Blade By Jay Roland
- Wallaroo.AI Launches Unique Workload Orchestration Capabilities to Help Scale Production Machine Learning (ML) Workflows 5- 10x, with 40% Time Savings
- BURFORD CAPITAL TO HOST GLOBAL RETAIL SHAREHOLDER CALL ON JUNE 21, 2023
- Bent Danholm of MAXIM Realty Orlando Joins Forces With Tech Company to Improve Target Marketing of Homes in Central Florida
- VenturSeed Machine-Learning/Artificial Intelligence Labs Launches for Students and Promising Pre-Pre Seed Startups
- ERC Deadline (June 2023): Employee Retention Credit Deadline Guidance Shared by Better Business Advice
- Rochester: J.U.S.T. L.A.W. Initiative Student Essay Winners to be Recognized at Awards Ceremony
- Bit Digital, Inc. Announces Monthly Production Update for May 2023
- SHAREHOLDER ALERT: Pomerantz Law Firm Investigates Claims On Behalf of Investors of NextEra Energy, Inc. - NEE
- Stapleton Group and Sorokin & Associates Announce Strategic Partnership
- Politan Comments on Masimo's Recent Board Announcement
- Blue Collar Barons Launches as the First Construction-themed NFT Web3 Game
- Ashtyn Montgomery and Cruz Textures Partner with Doe Sports
- JustFoodForDogs In-Store Kitchen Now Open at Petco's Union Square Location
- Loretta Ana Kaufman to Exhibit in The National Association of Women Artists 134th Annual Exhibition